Tuesday, July 22, 2008

It Was The Organisms Plea Taking

I will open by saying, as I have said before, make sure you ASK QUESTIONS, to whomever is your contact person or advocate.Yesterday caused me quite a bit of unneeded stress.

Yesterday my post was about the sentencing, which I was informed of by my advocate on Friday would be taking place. I quit writing yesterday due to a phone call I received from my sister saying the organism was not on the docket. My sister and her boyfriend found my advocate and spoke with her. My sister informed me that the attorneys involved were trying to fit the organism in for a plea taking. Her boyfriend informed me that due to the speedy trial demand the organism made, if they did not fit it in, we would go to trial. STRESS!!! YES, TO SAY THE LEAST!

My advocate phoned me later and explained the situation. She stated that the attorneys wanted to do both the plea taking and sentencing in the same day but were unable to due to a full docket. She assured me that they would get the organism in for the plea taking and did phone me to let me know they did.

Now...... I understand by now that things don't always work the way you want them to, especially in the legal system. However, I should have been informed why they wanted the organism in for the plea taking so fast, and the consequences involved, if it did not happen. I have no legal education and no nothing about this subject.

I am not asking for the world here, but I HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE INFORMED CORRECTLY AND FULLY!! There is enough stress dealing with the trauma. It would be much easier for me to handle if they could give me the what-ifs, then to find out in this fashion.

Also, I cannot fully blame my advocate, she was telling me what she was told by attorneys. She was doing her best and I realize that.

That being said no victim should have to do legal research after any type of violent crime. Unfortunately you may have to. The National Center For State Courts provides a list of Court Web Sites. If you have to find your own information I suggest going here to find your state.

I once again want to say, that at least my organism (perpetrator) is going to prison. I realize in many cases, rapists never see jail time at all.

Due to all of this I do not plan to write about the incident until after the organisms sentencing, which I was informed would take place August 11. We shall see.

REMEMBER ASK QUESTIONS!!

Victoria Placeo

No comments:

Post a Comment