Wednesday, July 23, 2008

John McCains's Rape Joke

Okay, I read it, I didn't want to go there, I read more about McCain, and decided I have to go there.

My political views are not a major part of this blog, but rape is. I am not hugely into politics for many reasons and barely keep up on the candidates. I will not comment on whom I think should be president in the upcoming 2008 election. However, after reading the joke, and reading more, I had no choice in my mind to say WHOOAAA, HOLD ON THERE COWBOY!


I read many sources that discussed John McCain's Rape Joke, I found The Jed Report , The Huffington Post, and Think Progress to be the best for information.

Apparently, in 1986 while running for senate John McCain made a rape joke ....... and here it is:

Did you hear the one about the woman who is attacked on the street by a gorilla, beaten senseless, raped repeatedly and left to die? When she finally regains consciousness and tries to speak, her doctor leans over to hear her sigh contently and to feebly ask, “Where is that marvelous ape?”
HaHaHa....funny Huh? NOT SO MUCH!! I explored the fact that maybe I was to sensitive to this joke due to my incident. Then I came to realize after reading and rereading the joke, it's just not funny.


Through more research on John McCain I found this statement made by Clayton Williams about rape:


As long as it's inevitable, you might as well lie back and enjoy it.


According to The Huffington Post Clayton Williams is a:

Texas oilman who once joked that women should give in while being raped.
The Texan, Republican Clayton "Claytie" Williams, made the joke during his failed 1990 campaign for governor against Democrat Ann Richards. Williams compared rape to the weather, saying, "As long as it's inevitable, you might as well lie back and enjoy it."

McCain apparently had a fundraiser with Williams and canceled it, I then read he postponed it, and then read he was taking the 300,000 Clayton Williams had already raised............ so due all of that and I am not a reporter, I am leaving that one alone. Feel free to find the answers yourself.

So the curiosity killed me and I read further and found this on The Huffington Post where McCain stated this to his wife Cindy McCain:



"At least I don't plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you cunt."


He blamed it on a bad day........yea in the past two months I have had many bad days, pretty sure I wouldn't say that though.

So, my original intention with all of this was that I saw the rape joke, was offended, but had the intent somewhat stick up for McCain because we all do stupid things. As I read further, the Clayton Williams one got me. I couldn't hold it in. I am not a news reporter, but a rape victim, survivor, or whatever you are comfortable with at this point. All of this was too much, not to blog about.



I still will not state my preference for presidency 2008, but I will make a general statement about anyone who makes these jokes or thinks this way............here it goes:


Since rape is so funny, I suggest that all rape victims get together and meet any of you who think this way. We can talk about it, express differing opinions, and then us silly rape people will tie you up and SHOVE A BASEBALL BAT UP YOU ASS! Well just see how funny that is for you. Want to take me up on it let me know.






Have a great day!






Victoria Placeo


No comments:

Post a Comment