Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A unexpected email from a support at the sexual assault sentencing

As I wrote yesterday, the sentencing for the organism was on Monday. I had few people there with me, but one friend did drive two hours just to support me.

Later, that day I received and email from him. It did not directly relate to the rape sentencing, so I emailed him back and asked what it was about. This is the email back about what the content meant:

"it was in regards to the letter the assistant DA read from you. I was really blown away by the fact that, even though you suffered through what you did...you asked that the guy get help and counseling...was rather touching, not something I could have done...so its about you. I hope it was ok...it's just how I see it."

The letter he is speaking of is my victim impact statement. Apparently, a few have commented on my statement and how I asked for the organism to get help.

Anyway back to my friend, he is a good person but at times as he will not deny a bit cynical. This is the original email he sent me:

The Goodness



Sometimes I have the unique opportunity to observe what I call, the goodness, in others. It’s really a great feeling…especially considering that most messages we receive about others comes in the form of negativity. I have always been leaned towards the side that agrees that humanity is in dire destruction, that people are more poised towards selfishness and discontent with each other. When I get to see this goodness though, it sort of balances me back out, makes me hopeful for the future of mankind.

I hope more people get to see the goodness. In this day and age, more than anything, society needs to see and experience this goodness. People need to believe in the good of each other. Its out there, maybe you just need to open up to it…sometimes that’s the hard part for me. Don’t think this is one of those rantings saying, do onto others as you want others to blah, blah, blah…that to me, is almost pushing people to do something foreign to them…kindness and good-heartedness should come natural…at least in my opinion, not forced and imitated.

I give this idea to you without describing at all what exactly I saw and experienced today, but that’s ok…it keeps it that much more real and wonderful to me…no one can take that away by dissecting it with their words or beliefs. It is something I hope you will experience for yourselves very soon. it’s a good thing, a positive star in a galaxy of over-burdens and discontent, and that’s a rare, but positive light. Go out there and open your eyes, it might just amaze you at what can be seen.



I post this for one main reason..... in all my darkness, guilt, terror, and pain, I gave someone hope. My self esteem is wiped and I feel worthless, but out of it I was able to give someone a new view.

I thank him for coming, supporting me, and sharing this which was something very unexpected.

Although he came to support me, he left with something, which should give me some worth.



Victoria Placeo

No comments:

Post a Comment