Monday, October 27, 2008

Out of the Mouths of Babes - What I Learned from a Seven Year Old

I was visiting a friend last week in my hometown. She has been one of those friends that has been around to listen and be supportive. She has three darling little children 2 boys and a girl.

The night I was there her 7 year old girl had a swollen, infected finger. Apparently, she had had it the day before and it was getting worse. My friend and her husband decided that it would be best to take her to a clinic open at night to have someone look at it.

I accompanied my friend and her that precious 7 year old to the clinic. Her daughter seemed calm and also has the gift of gab. We arrived at the clinic and everything seemed to go smoothly. They got us in quickly and sat the little girl up on the table.

After the nurse took her temperature and noted the problem, she exited, and my friends daughter began to talk. She spoke randomly about the different items in the room and seemed to not even take a breath between speaking.

Then she began to speak about her finger, it's condition, and what the doctor might do, this is not verbatim but kind of how it went:

"The doctor will look at it probably and see it and give me a pill, maybe one i can chew. Maybe the doctor will give me a pill to drink and it will go in my stomach and down to my finger."

She spoke these words while looking back and forth at myself and her mother. She looked at me for what seemed like a need for confirmation and I stated that, that was probably what the doctor would do. While her eyes rolling around as if she were thinking she went on to say:

Yes the doctor will give me medicine and we will pick it up and that won't be hard. No, this won't be hard, I'll just get the medicine and that's all and my finger will be good. This won't be a hard one.

As I sat there I realized here was this precious 7 year old girl, scared on the inside of what was going to happen. She was verbally talking herself through the steps and confirming to herself, that the visit would go find and she would be alright.

As cute as it was it awakened something in me. Much like my friends amazing daughter, who had the ability at 7 to make everything alright, I must two speak the way I want things to be.

Here is what I should say, much like my friends daughter, to make thinks okay:

So I was raped, and they took me to the hospital. The man got put in prison, so I am safe now. I did get fired for being on medical leave, but I think there are many jobs out there. I don't have much support and financially no one wants to help, but I do have a few people to be there. With time I will find a way to get back on my feet and feel better. Yes, this won't be a hard one.

I learned this from a 7 year old and I believe that it is true. I believe that like my friends daughter, I need to rationalize the future of what I want to happen. This won't be a hard one.

One of the most touching and valuable tools I have witnessed and used so far came.......Out Of The Mouths Of Babes.


Victoria Placeo

No comments:

Post a Comment