Sunday, November 16, 2008

EMDR and Rape Victims

My therapist and I start EMDR tommorow. EMDR is Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. It is a practice for treatment of patients with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Acute Stress Disorder, initially used for veterans. I watched the DVD with her at our last session. As a hypnotherapist, I found the information very interesting.

EMDR was developed by Francine Shapiro in 1987. According to the EMDR website:

"In 1987, Francine Shapiro was walking in the park when she realized that eye movements appeared to decrease the negative emotion associated with her own distressing memories."

The theory behind it can be found here in short the site states:

"Shapiro proposes that EMDR can assist to successfully alleviate clinical complaints by processing the components of the contributing distressing memories. These can be memories of either small-t or large-T traumas. Information processing is thought to occur when the targeted memory is linked with other more adaptive information. Learning then takes place, and the experience is stored with appropriate emotions, able to appropriately guide the person in the future. A variety of neurobiological contributors have been proposed4,5,6,7,8"

This is just a general overview of EMDR for more information you can go to: http://www.emdr.com/index.htm

I really believe it is worth looking into.

I am suppose to write the 10 most traumatic events I can remember for tomorrows session. I will keep you posted on how it works for me.


Victoria Placeo

No comments:

Post a Comment