Monday, November 3, 2008

Rape and Sexual Assault Group

As time goes by it becomes more painful to realize that there are very few who are there for me during this time of recovery.

There were not many in the first place after the rape that were there in my situation.

If my family ever reads this, I will feel awful, but the reality is they were there a little in the beginning, but then it came to a point where I didn't hear from them. I don't hear from them often now.

There were some friends in the beginning, but they have dwindled as well. It makes one lose hope for humanity.

Those who know what happened, know I was violently raped. They know I lost the town I lived in, my apartment, my job, and have no source of income. But yet hardly even a phone call and if there is one, the question "How are you doing" does not even come out.

It is usually to ask me for help or to do something, like go out to a bar. Although, I have been out, I don't consider it a high priority. I want people to care and to help, but I can't make people realize the extent of my situation.

I stood back, last night, and actually took a look at my situation as an outsider might see it. I was floored! I looked at myself and said this girl has lost everything she knew to be her life.

I understand that many rape and sexual assault victims may still have a home, a family to help, friends who care. However, I can't help but think of the many who do not and how they feel.

It is extremely difficult to deal with just the aftermath of being raped, but to lose most everything else is a burden no one should have to bear.

You realize that if those people don't care now, in a desperate time of need, they never will. You reevaluate your friends and family and realize that if they only want you around for good times, then why keep them.

It is painful, however out of the pain I did create something for others. I created RASA Survivors a rape support group or social network, where survivors can befriend one another.

RASA Survivors is a network where sexual assault and violent crime victims can unite and develop friendships and share survival ideas.

The sexual assault support group is also for secondary survivors. Not only do they know how to work with a violent crime survivor, but they can get support as well.

RASA Survivors is a social network and it is my hope that it will help many including myself. The site can be found here http://www.rasasurvivors.com



Victoria Placeo

No comments:

Post a Comment