Wednesday, December 17, 2008

EMDR with Rape Victims

I had my second session today with EMDR, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing.

I will back up to my first session and then continue in the next post. First session consisted of developing a safe place.

As a hypnotherapist, this was not hard to do. I did not necessarily call it a safe place but just an image to relax, my perfect place.

My safe place was a tropical area with a waterfall. It is the perfect temperature, no insects, and complete solitude.

In the first EMDR session, my therapist told me to think of my safe place. While I was doing this she moved her fingers back and forth while my eyes followed.

She would stop and ask me if I noticed or felt anything new, which I did. I felt calmer throughout the safe place process and began to notice different things. The colors became more vibrant. The flowers got brighter, waterfall became more blue, it was a very relaxing experience.

My therapist advised me to practice this safe place whenever I felt uncomfortable. She also showed me how to tap my legs in sets to get a similar effect of eye movement.

I did practice and at time when I had control to do it, it did calm me.

I was intrigued by EMDR and the safe place session. However, I had doubts about how this process could help me with trauma.

If you want to find out more about Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing you can go to: http://www.emdr.com/



Victoria Placeo

No comments:

Post a Comment