Monday, December 1, 2008

A Late Thanksgiving

This was the original post I was going to publish on Thanksgiving. My Thanksgiving was awful and I will go into it in another post. Today, I am having a fairly good day so, I am going with the original post.

People have asked me how I can hold it together after a rape and numerous losses. Well since this is about Thanksgiving I will explain what I do.

When I have memories, flashbacks, I see a vehicle that looks the organisms, I instantly lose it. I stop and I think. I pick one tiny good thing out of what the organism did to me.

Now.......I know what your thinking, Victoria has lost it. When I say pick one good thing out of what the organism did, I mean one good thing that came from it's actions.

When I have explained this to people, they ask, what good has come from being raped, going through the legal system, and losing everything you had.

I just give them examples to help explain, here are some:

If the rape did not occur, I would never had really known who would be there for me and who would not.

If the rape did not occur, I would never fully understand the loss and fear my past patients felt or others in a similar situation.

If the rape did not occur, I would have not realized that I am not the one with the major issues in my family.

If the rape did not occur, I never would have valued my home, my job, my community, my income, my friends to the fullest extent that one should.

Those are just a few examples of how I try to pull myself out of the depression and loss. It is what keeps me going.

So although late, I encourage you right now, to pick one good thing from an area of your life that you think is not going well. It really lightens the load.

Over the next few days I am going to give thanks for the people who have been there for me and in a world of abandonment made time to respond to me. Hopefully, some of them and what they do will help you!

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving



Victoria Placeo

No comments:

Post a Comment