Sunday, January 25, 2009

Prayers For Bobby

I just got done watching "Prayers For Bobby" a lifetime movie. I only caught the last 1/2 hour but that was enough. Although I have been advised not to watch violent, or emotionally triggering movies I watched the end anyway.

I was brought to tears, so much pain I felt for Bobby, and his mother. As I said I caught the end but in a nutshell, Bobby was homosexual. Although I saw the end what I did catch was that God could heal Bobby and homosexuals were damned, according to the mothers beliefs. Bobby committed suicide, and the mother was in great suffering. She blamed herself, for not supporting, understanding, and condemning Bobby. One statement was that Bobby's death was a result of his parents ignorance.

It hurt me to imagine Bobby with no support being who he really was. I can feel that same pain of not being able to show that I am hurting. I can feel that pain of a family who is not supportive and wants to ignore the fact that my rape did not occur. I can understand that loneliness of feeling that no ones understands, cares, or will ever except me. And unfortunately I completely understand Bobby's desperation, while deciding and achieving suicide.

I can see how a family would not want to accept Bobby being homosexual. I see it in my own family, either they don't want to except it, or they just want to ignore it so it will go away.

Bobby's mother brought hope to me. Although Bobby was gone, she took the time to get an understanding of homosexuality and participated in events to support the homosexual community. I doubt that would happen with my own family, but that's not really the point of this.

This movie strengthened my belief that people need more education about things. It showed me that although people may not care now, about the effects of coming out about being homosexual, or the effects of rape, etc that they certainly will if it happens to them.

I understand that many people do not want to be forced to understand things, or take the extra time to care about someone else who is suffering. But what I think people do not realize is that lack of education, that judgmental attitude, or their inflexible beliefs, are a large part of what brings suffering amongst people and perhaps amongst themselves eventually.

I applaud Bobby's mother and family for getting an understanding, educating themselves, and having empathy and understanding although their son was gone. They went the extra mile to support those like their son, knowing the damage that could occur if they were shunned.

I thank Bobby's family for the their story and for lifetime for making the movie. I suggest that everyone should watch it to see how beliefs can change, with education on any given subject.

And remember a belief is only small fractions of opinions, education, and knowledge compiled into a lump. One more tidbit of knowledge could alter that belief you thought was so true.


Victoria Placeo

No comments:

Post a Comment