Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Rock Secondary Survivor Of Rape

The Rock blogged this on RASA Survivors it is a great entry from a secondary victim of rape or sexual assault...........

What does one do when someone they know is raped? I had no clue. It first came out from Victoria that she was hurt the night before we were to get together. I knew she was a pretty tough person, so I casually expressed my concern and hoped that she would be feeling better soon. It was a little while (15 minutes or so) later that we spoke again and she said she was “hurt” it dawned on me that something more than her being hurt had happened. I finally asked, hoping that I wouldn’t get the answer, if she had been raped.

That word, at once simple and violent had come to light. What does one do? The biggest thing that I have found was that her safety and security was shattered. Trying to provide that was my first focus. Providing a safe haven for your loved one, I believe, is paramount. We, as secondary survivors, don’t really need to “do” anything but be around. Even if it is just on the periphery, we are the touchstone that survivors need.

-The Rock


A book is being written for friends, family, and secondary survivors of rape, I will keep you posted.




Victoria Placeo

No comments:

Post a Comment