Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Secondary Victim of Rape - The Rock

I am not the only one that suffers. This is an entry emailed to me by my secondary victim The Rock:


Going to town.

We went down there today, the area where the incident took place. Before Victoria, it didn’t really have any special significance to me. It is just one more set of small towns just like any other out there. It just happens to have a lake and explodes in population over the summer months. It has the summer people and the locals who support the summer people. For me, it was a place to visit and then return to the “normal” of my own town.

The super-happy-fun town is how I refer to it now with tongue firmly in cheek. It has taken on a different look to me since May. Everyone I look at gives me a feeling of unease. Every place we go puts me on guard. I didn’t know anyone that Victoria knew, but I can see how uneasy she is down there. It puts me into protective mode. Seems like I get quiet and moody. I remember the fun times that I had in area and all of a sudden they weren’t that fun. To me, it’s like a movie set. Everything out front is shiny and new, but to go behind the set will reveal the hollow dark side. Outwardly, people are friendly, but it’s just a fa├žade. Who answered Victoria’s screams for help? Who has supported her in her time of need? The people of super-happy-fun town are blissfully unaware. They fail to see the imperfection of their perfect community. Was it because she was a relative outsider? Was it because, as we know now, the organism was a well known a-hole? Is it the most sinister to me, it is all financial? There was no headline of “Resort Community Shocked Over Rape” Couldn't have that, might lower the receipts. It just pisses me off so much that there was no community outrage, no community help and for us at least, no community.



I feel the exact same way about the community. The Rock has great insight into what I am going through and as far as I can see The Rock is dead on. Although there are few I wish so much there were no secondary victims to my suffering.



Victoria Placeo

No comments:

Post a Comment