Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Vagina Monologues and V Day Event

Last week I wrote about "The Vagina Monologues" being put on at an establishment that had my convicted rapist on the webpage.

I blogged about how it bothered me, how I thought it was a bad business move, and if I was going to attend.

It was held for 3 days and I did not attend the event, I thought about it daily but I just decided not to go for a few reasons.

First, I thought that the gall of having such a play for such a good reason at an establishment like that was disgusting.

Second, after speaking with the Executive Director of the group that was going to receive the funds, I was very discouraged, and felt that I was raped all over again. She said that their group did not pick the location and therefore there was nothing she could do.....she was in the play. She also said that my therapist had come to her with concern about the same issue, but yet nothing could be done. THIS WAS THE SAME ORGANIZATION THAT WAS SUPPOSE TO SHOW UP WHILE I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL, GETTING THE RAPE KIT DONE, AND DID NOT!!

Third, I just could not imagine going back to the establishment because I use to hang out there and everyone knew.

So I did not attend and believe it was for the best........however my therapist did attend. The same therapist that tried to get the organism off the website. I like her a lot, she is a smart woman and very compassionate, yet not enabling. But, I don't understand, either you take a stance or you don't.......seems hypocritical to me.

At therapy yesterday, she was telling me about the event. What peoples reactions seemed to be, parts of the play etc. Nice of her to share..........BUT IF I WANTED TO KNOW I WOULD HAVE GONE!

One nice thing she did share was that one of the bartenders was wearing a shirt that said "got consent." It made me feel better because I used to hang out at that place and I perhaps knew that bartender.

So in summary I didn't go, I would like to see it someday, but I could not see myself be that hypocritical..........



Victoria Placeo

No comments:

Post a Comment