Thursday, March 12, 2009

Rapist asks for death, fears rape in prison - A Victims Perspective

I saw this article a while back and have been thinking about posting and writing about it. The article is entitled “Rapist asks for death, fears rape in prison” it can be found at http://seattlepi.nwsource.com. The article is below as well as my thoughts:

Rapist asks for death, fears rape in prison

By LEVI PULKKINEN
P-I REPORTER

A Seattle man who'd admitted to raping two women at Myrtle Edwards Park was sentenced to 20 years in prison Friday.

Earlier this year, Angel Galvan-Hernandez pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree rape in the separate August 2007 attacks at the waterfront park.

In both attacks, Galvan-Hernandez, 26, was accused of beating and choking his victims as he forced himself on them.

Speaking in King County Superior Court, Galvan-Hernandez pleaded with Judge Julie Spector to have him executed rather than send him to prison.

In a turn characterized by Spector, without humor, as "ironic," Galvan-Hernandez begged not to be sent to prison where he believes he will be raped.
"I prefer death a thousand times over being raped," said Galvan-Hernandez.

A tiny man less than 5 feet in height, Galvan-Hernandez told the court he'd been sexually assaulted numerous times as a street youth in Mexico.
"I want to pay for the act of cowardice," he added. "I admit it, but I just don't want to be raped."

According to police, Galvan-Hernandez first attacked a then-homeless woman in the park, beating her with chunks of concrete and biting her during the rape. He escaped only to attack another woman days later.

A passer-by broke up the second attack and held Galvan-Hernandez to the ground until police arrived. That passer-by, a former soldier in the Army who asked not to be named, sat in on Friday's hearing to see Galvan-Hernandez sentenced.

Addressing the court, the victim in the first attack told Spector that the injuries she sustained during the attack linger, and that it's changed her day-to-day interactions with friends.

Still, the woman spoke with sympathy for Galvan-Hernandez while asking that the maximum sentence be imposed."A life is precious because you only get one," she said, speaking to Galvan-Hernandez. "I hope and pray every day that you get the help you need."

While Galvan-Hernandez's attorneys requested the minimum 10-year sentence, Spector agreed with Senior Deputy Prosecutor Julie Kays' recommendation and sentenced Galvan-Hernandez to a 20-year term.

Under the conditions set, Galvan-Hernandez will complete his minimum sentence but remain incarcerated until a state board deems him ready for release.
Explaining her decision, Spector turned to a letter she'd received from his second victim.

In the note, the 41-year- old woman cautioned Spector and future authorities not to be put at ease by the "tiny, timid predator." Throughout the 45-minute attack, she wrote, Galvan-Hernandez was calm and determined but panicked each time he heard someone walk by.

"There was a certain level of consciousness, a certain level of thoughtfulness, that went into this crime," Spector said. "I believe you need to be locked up as long as possible to protect the women in our community."


This is a tough one for me to share my thoughts, due to the fact that although raped, everyones attacks are different. As always, I will share them anyway…….

First, my prayers go out to the two women involved in these attacks, if I could be there to hold them and comfort them I would.

I agree with both of the womens input. The first women has sympathy, as well did I for my organism, I to explained in my statement that I believe the organism needed help but still asked for the full sentence.

The second women cautioned that be weary of the man, although I do not want to believe that there was thoughtfulness in my attack, I have been told many times that there probably was.

Although, the passer by whom stopped one of the rapes will never read this, I want to thank him. If more people got involved like he did maybe there would be less violence. He showed a great care for others and is a hero to me.

As far as the rapist involved, I agree that it is ironic that he asks for death for fear of being raped. However, the man knows about being sexually assaulted, so it is not surprising.

I don’t feel the perpetrator should have much of a say in his sentence, but I do have pity and sympathy for him. Why………I would not wish rape on anyone, whether rapists, murderers, etc.

I personally do not see the good in anyone receiving harm in return for the harm they have inflicted. And although I have mood swings, deep down I believe that rapists are sick people, and are no more worthy of pain and suffering then anyone else.


Victoria Placeo



No comments:

Post a Comment