Sunday, April 26, 2009

Gray Hair after Rape

There is an old wives tale that a person who has undergone great shock or trauma can have their hair turn partly or fully gray.

For awhile there I was believing that. About 6 months after the rape, I started seeing more gray hair but more disturbing was one gray patch growing from the front of my scalp.

Upon research of this matter I did not find much but the information I did find went with previous posts I have written.

In those previous posts I have written and my continuing hair loss (also know as alopecia) after the rape. It was very traumatic losing the hair because I already felt ugly and the additional hair loss was not helping.

While researching the gray hair all I found as an explanation was that the gray hair was there all along. With a great amount of shock or trauma, the thick, darker hairs fall out, leaving the already gray hairs visible.

Both the hair loss ( which did discontinue after 7 months) and the gray hair does not help the self-esteem.

I am glad I found and answer and all I can say to those who may be experiencing this is that the hair loss will stop and thank goodness for hair dye.

Victoria Placeo

No comments:

Post a Comment