Friday, May 8, 2009

Rape Anniversary Dates - Symptoms

From yesterdays post you can guess that I am not doing my best. I have been depressed, anxious, and have some suicidal thoughts. I wrote yesterday that I should try to stop figuring out why I was feeling so bad. Then it dawned on me.......perhaps I am feeling so bad because the 1 year anniversary is 10 days away?

I did a little research, not much, I don't like to, I think it puts things in peoples minds. However I found the United States Department of Veterans Affairs site. It discusses anniversary dates the whys and the symptoms etc.

In it talks a why people do have anniversary dates. It states

"According to Foa and Kozak 3 , traumatic memories contain specific information about the dangerousness of an event so that people will seek safety and protect themselves from similar harm. The memory provides information about what the individual should be afraid of, how he or she should perceive such situations, how to feel in that situation, and what to think."

It also touches on the symptoms and here it is:

"A common type of anniversary reaction is experiencing grief and sadness around the anniversary of the death of someone significant. In fact, this is common enough that most major religions have commemorative ceremonies to support the intensification of grief at these times. At the extreme end of the spectrum, people can find themselves clinically depressed or even suicidal. However, for most, the episode of flattened affect and sadness is brief."


Depressed, suicidal, and sadness, sounds familiar. Although I have read the article, I am still having trouble accepting that the rape could effect me this badly with all the months behind me.

I have read numerous times that people have trouble accepting rape, and even acknowledging it. I guess I am one of those people.

My first coping skill I used and guess can recommend is a power nap and a good cry. That is how I dealt with the depression and bad thoughts yesterday.

I will post if I come up with anymore skills that work for me. I know there are plenty of documents on coping skills, but it is asinine to think that all will work for the same person.



Victoria Placeo

No comments:

Post a Comment