Thursday, June 18, 2009

Coping Skills For Rape Anniversary Dates

Today is 13th months since the rape. Instead of looking back at all that I have lost, I have decided to spend this rape anniversary date focusing on the ways I have coped.

Some sexual assault anniversary dates have been harder for me then others. One of the main things I have noticed is that there seems to be no rhyme or reason to why the dates are better or worse.

I must admit that some were so bad that the coping skills that I list below did not work at all, however other times many skills did help.

The skills I used are as follows:

- Look at what I have not want I do not - by trying to make my main focus of the day finding the things I have, did redirect my mind. Instead of dwelling on memories I had to search to find what was good in my life.

- Humor movies that did not involve sex- I have heard it many times that laughter is the best medicine. Although it was tough to laugh on certain rape anniversary dates, others times it seemed to be a great benefit.

- Self-help books, that are not about rape or sexual assault- although I am not an avid reader and at times have trouble focusing on a book or audio book, if I did read excerpts of certain self-help and positive thinking books I was able to change my thinking.

- Practicing "NOW" thinking- Consistently bringing myself back to the now and what is going on in my currently helped my brain stay busy, it seemed to help quite a bit.


I know the are few suggestions, but I am a bit knew at this type of coping. I hope it helps someone.


Victoria Placeo

No comments:

Post a Comment