Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sexual Assault Survivor and Family Issues

I went to a wedding this weekend with my entire extended family. Only my immediate family knows about the rape. I really don't know why they have not said a word. If someone gets sick, laid off, etc. everyone knows.

I wonder if they are embarrassed of me or if they are trying to protect me. It hurts a bit that I am kept a secret.

Back to the wedding, it actually went okay. I had a relatively decent time, and only the unexpected noises bothered me, until the end of the night. By that time I was on overload. I couldn't handle anymore people or noises.

During the day on the way to the wedding a funny thing happened. The Rock and I were driving to the wedding and one of my family members that was with us asked if I was coming to an upcoming concert. A concert that was taking place in the small town where the rape occurred.

I told them know and they questioned me. I heard The Rock mumble under his breath "are you kidding me." I wanted to burst out in laughter, and I was shocked that he said such a thing to a family member without barely knowing them.

I brought it up to my therapist just to let her know what my last week had been like. She stated it was a good thing to have the person I am with the most be supportive. She stated that a lot of the time it happens the other way, where the family is supportive and the individual the rape victim is with is not supportive.

I am grateful for that, however I still have a tremendously difficult time being around my family. I love them but I don't understand them.


Victoria Placeo

No comments:

Post a Comment