Friday, July 1, 2011

Rapist Up For Parole

Just when you think you may be doing better something slaps you in the face. I have had many topics to write about since I last posted, and still do, but this one trumps them all.

Today first started with a call from a collection agency, I pay my bills on time, so naturally I thought it was a mistake. Not so much it turns out that Crime Victims was supposed to pay all medications relating to the rape; however they did not pay one of about 500.00. A bit upset considering I cannot afford a 500.00 bill right now, but I placed a call to my Crime Victims assistance person and of course due to the fourth of July weekend, they were not in. Not really the point of this post but thought I would mention it.

I also checked the state board of parole today and found that my rapist is up for parole this month. As some of you may recall he was charged with burglary and sexual assault in the 3rd degree. He took a plea bargain that eliminated burglary …………….WHICH ODDLY ENOUGH HELD A HIGHER SENTENCE THEN SEXUAL ASSAULT!!!!

I contacted my victim coordinator from the county that the assault occurred in to see what was happening and what I could do. My main intent was to see if I could get a no contact order or restraining order if he should get paroled. Turns out……….and take note of this….in some states at least the one I am in, the police put a one year protection order for you in the event of something like this. However, if you do not renew in 90 days you do not have the option to get one later, unless the rapist or offender does something.

I have a love/hate relationship with our legal system. I realize that many times it is very rare to even get a plea or conviction in a rape case; however, if the rapist is getting out I think it is common sense that the survivor should be able to get a no contact order. Of course I am not the legal system or anyone of importance to make that decision….so my opinion as a survivor does not count.

If I had enough balls I would try to change that law but at this point I do not.

In regards to my emotions, I was and am dealing with what happened much better than before. That being said I was not expecting to have an uprising of fear when I talked to my victim assistance coordinator.

She said that many times the legal system like to parole individuals a year before their discharge to see if they can behave and establish a life again. The fear that ran through me was just like it happened all over again.

I could not believe that a 35 year charge went to a 10 year charge that then went to a 4 year charge and now may be down to 3.

Yes I am fearful, but logically and rationally I know that for him to come after me would be rare and really not in his best interest. That being said I have never been in prison. I believe people could come out one or two ways. First, not ever wanting to go back and be good and second with vengeance. For my sake I hope it is not the latter.

I am typing this in a bit of an emotional state so forgive any misspellings or wrong verbiage. O h well it is my blog………..I will continue to write what I feel and right now I feel fear!


Victoria Placeo

1 comment:

  1. Victoria:
    I am sorry that you are experiencing this. I remember when my rapist had to my place of employment after the rape. He had brought with him some friends--I was working at a restaurant at the time. I am sure that you could imagine my anger and my fear at the same time. This is nearly 20 years ago; I could not go to the police after my rape because he was my boyfriend at the time. Just the same, reporting it was too difficult.

    Please be encouraged that you are safe and your emotions are well founded. Keep in close contact with your Advocates. I live in Washington State and the laws here are very kookie. Some are changing; however, not fast enough. Be well and be safe.

    Caren

    ReplyDelete