Thursday, February 19, 2015

EMDR VS EFT

If you are someone who is trying to decide between EMDR or EFT, I am going to share my experiences with them.  I would say they both have their benefits as well as their similarities and differences. I figured I should address this because my last post was about the Tapping World Summit.  As Usual please keep in mind I am not an EMDR therapist or a certified EFT practitioner and none of what I write here is to be taken as medical advice (I really just need to add a disclaimer to my site:).  So on we go EMDR VS EFT.

First let’s clarify the differences between the two.  EMDR is a Trauma treatment and it stands for Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. EMDR uses bilateral eye movements, taps, and tones while focusing on an issue.  When I was in my EMDR therapy, I would pick a traumatic memory and put a number to it.  The therapist would then move her fingers back and forth while I followed them with my eyes. I focused on a memory and then as she put it, like a train one memory was linked to another to another.  We would keep doing it until the number lowered or another memory came up that was stronger and focused on that.

EFT Stands for Emotional Freedom Technique the way it is described is a type of intervention based on various theories of alternative medicine.  Like EMDR EFT has you focus on a specific issue and give it a number and then tap on your meridian points while using positive statements and other sayings to lower the score.  EFT is also known as tapping or Meridian tapping, and when I use it I pick an issue, tap the points and use a saying such as “Even though I ______ I love and accept myself.”

The above are just brief descriptions of what they both are I will post the sites below so you can look for yourself.    So EMDR or EFT? The similarities of EMDR and EFT is that you pick an issue, give it a score, tap or move your eyes, and keep going until the score lessens or another more powerful issue you need to focus on comes up. Remember this is coming from a person who has been through both, not from a practitioner standpoint.  Both bring up more issues, both resolve issues.

The differences I note between EFT and EMDR while researching is the are the 8 phases that EMDR has, as well as having a therapist there to reprocess, and other psychological things that you can read on the page below.  Another difference is that EMDR is seems to be more accepted in the counseling field than EFT does.

I would have to say that both were helpful to me; however the Emotional freedom technique is easier to use at home and to learn and do on your own.  Other than that I found they both had their benefits.  If you are trying to make a decision between EMDR or EFT as a person who has been through both and uses them today, I would say try them both.  You can find an EMDR therapist on the site below and you can learn EFT free HERE.

My Bottom Line on EMDR VS EFT, I prefer the Emotional Freedom Technique, it works faster, clears away gunk, and brings up more gunk to process through. That being said I would not mind hearing from those who have also done both EMDR and EFT or practitioners.


Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment